The sequel to X-Men first class will now be out in a couple of months and if you are a big follower of the graphic novels then you are probably one of those pissed off fanboys or girls who got disappointed big time of the changes of the story arcs and major characters.
Although the X – Men First Class: Days of the Future Past (That’s a long title for a sci-fi movie) is based on the 80’s Days of The Future Past which is both praised by the fans and the critics, some major changes altered the storyline like it wasn’t Wolverine who traveled back to the past to save the future rather it was Kitty Pryde / Shadowcat’s consciousness who went back to the past to stop a fatal event that will lead to extreme mutant hatred and discrimination.
But enough with the spoilers, As of now, there are 6 X -Men movies that were out: The First 3 X – Men, The 2 Wolverine Origins and First Class and all of these films seems lackluster when it comes to mutant castings. So here are my 6 picks of X-Men’s that deserved to be added in the movie adaptations but kept on getting snubbed.
6. Gabriel Summers / Vulcan – Cyclops and Havok youngest brother. If Scott (Cyclops) and Havok (Alex) are Marvel’s super hero poster boys then Vulcan is the complete opposite. He is a major super villain with family issues. Vulcan actually started as McTaggert’s student who helped in saving the X-Men but was assumed dead during the process. He returned back as psycho douche mutant and planned to kill Professor X. He killed Banshee and battled other X-Men members including his own brothers and Rachel Summers(Phoenix). One of the most notable storylines of Vulcan was when he became the King of Shi’ar Empire and planned on conquering the universe. Vulcan is a powerful mutant and can manipulate different types of energies in massive level and also can fly and can survive in space.
Why he should be in the movies: Well, Guardians of the Galaxy is the most talked about Superhero movie this year in social media and if the franchise proves to be a success, X-Men movie with Vulcan can lead to other sequels and spin-offs including space and alien territories.
5. Rachel Anne Grey / Marvel Girl / Phoenix – Rachel Anne Grey or famously known as Phoenix is the daughter of Cyclops and Jean Grey in the alternate future and timeline. She is an omega level mutant with the powers of telekinesis and telepathy but she is best known for possessing the sentient being Phoenix which made her super powerful.
Why she should be in the movies: Days of Future Past is set in alternate timeline and in the comics, Rachel Grey is actually a major character so she should be in the X-Men First Class 2 in the first place. Rachel Grey’s inclusion in an X-Men movie can open up different timeline spin-offs and storylines and also can bring back the classic Cyclops and Jean Grey arcs.
And I am not being biased with the Summers family.
5. Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock / Psylocke – Psylocke is the twin sister of Brian Braddock aka Captain Britain. She possesses telepathic powers and telekinetic katana or a psychic knife and she is a martial arts expert.
Why she should be in the movies: Who doesn’t wants to see a psychic ninja? Her character can also open an spin-off featuring the UK version of X-Men or the Excalibur led by his twin brother Captain Britain.
3. Hisako Ichiki / Armor – Armor can generate psionic body armor which can be used as a defensive shield or for offensive attacks due to increased strength. Her powers is somewhat connected to her family lineage although I am not sure if it was clarified.
Why she should be in the movies: Hisako is Japanese and Japan is always a good setting for Sci-Fi films. In the comics, Hisako and the X-Men battled giant godzilla monsters. Who doesn’t want to see Godzilla in X-Men films? Armor also has a strong fan base FYI.
2. David Haller / Legion – Legion is Professor X son. He is an omega mutant but with severe mental illness including a multiple personality disorder which makes him unstable and most of the time unable to control his powers.
Why he should be in the movies: Legion can lead to the inclusion of other new generations of X-Men. His multiple personality disorder makes him interesting since each personality possesses different powers including telepathy, telekinesis, teleportation, pyrokinesis, acid vomit and so much more and almost all personalities are psychotic. Imagine Hannibal Lecter and X-Men merged into one. That would work.
1. Illyana Rasputina / Magik – Magik is the younger sister of Colossus and has the mutant powers of teleportation but aside from that she is a sorceres and is the supreme queen of Limbo. Magik has a dark and tortured past and honestly, reading the comics makes me cringe. Magik owns the mystical Eldritch Armor and the Soulsword which can disrupt magical energies and cut magical creatures.
Why she should be in the movies: Her possession of the limbo dimension can open up to a movie featuring demons, limbo and hell. She is also bestfriends with Shadowcat and that would be amazing to watch in movies and there is also a big chance of a New Mutants spin-off with her. Although Sunspot is in the upcoming X-Men First Class 2, I don’t think Sunspot is interesting enough for a spin-off project.
The upcoming First Class 2 features new mutants like Warpath, Bishop and Blink, although they haven’t appeared in the previous films I think that the 6 I mentioned above deserved much better. Blink over Magik. Come On.
What on Earth 616 am I thinking why I wrote this? I am actually on #300words challenge so you will be seeing more of these types of blogs soon.. like tomorrow. Go easy with me fanboys.